Tuesday, May 25, 2010

AM Class 6

Hey guys!

Haven't posted in ages, so here is a summary of Class 6 so far. It's only 3 more weeks before this journey with Animation Mentor is over, very hard to believe at the moment. I wasn't sure what to expect from this class, because I was surprised that we aren't supposed to do new shots but "just" polish the stuff from previous classes. To be honest, I wasn't sure that I liked the idea.

I was fortunate enough to get one of my favourite mentors of the school for class 6 - James Chiang. I watched quite a few of his critiques over the last months and attended one or two of his Saturday Q&As, and I was really impressed by his teaching style and professional approach. He seemed pretty tough too :)
James studied at Sheridan College and was trained at Disney before working at Lucasfilm, Blue Sky and Sony. At the moment he is freelancing, teaching and working on his own projects.

I can say the term has been awesome so far, I learnt a ton of new things and I think I was able to push the dialogue shots quite a bit more with James' help. I was reminded how important it is to keep learning to see, to train the eye to look for even timing, weak shape changes, lacking forces and to address those issues.

This term is about getting the shots polished and selecting the best ones for the demoreel. So instead of posting the weekly progress (which is quite subtle in many cases), here is what I ended up with a few weeks ago for my fmx demoreel.
I'll only post the dialogue shots, because the mechanics shots had not been touched yet.

Cocktail - final



Exterminators - almost final




Right now I'm trying to improve the monkey shot during the last weeks. More to come! Hope somebody is still following the blog :)
Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Aye Tommy!

    I'm still following the blog! Lol. I gotta say man, you work looks awesome! And I am using ur shots as a benchmark for my own AM dialogue shots to live up to! I've seen all ur crits by James Chiang & I SOOO hope I get him as a mentor. His eye is superb!

    Keep it up man, ur almost there! The only question you gotta ask yourself, is where so you work? Which studio is your dream job??! Because youre in!!

    ReplyDelete

Animation Mentor Webring

Powered by WebRing.