Monday, April 27, 2009

AM Week 204

The first assignment for the "Body Mechanics" class is finished :)

I still did a lot of polishing for arcs, moving holds, knee spacing and spacing in general. Spacing is really one area where 2D-animation has it's advantages, because you need to focus on the spacing with every drawing you create. If done right, the movement has a very organic and natural flow to it and there are no such things as flipping or popping IK-arms and legs.

Fixing those issues in CG usually requires a lot of frame-by-frame animation for each of those elements. However I actually enjoy doing that, as it just looks so much nicer in the end, and I know it's one of the last steps before the piece is done :)

For this assignment I also did a little bit of modeling for the location, not because it was required or it'll get me better grades, but just because I was in the mood and had fun doing it. Modeling or lighting is not required for AM, we are actually encouraged to spend all of the time animating, since that is what we are there for. So for the next assignment, I'll keep that in mind...

I submitted the usual Playblast, a rendered version and a silhouette version of the character.

Week 204 Assignment - Polished Version



I also had to hand in the planning for the next assignment. From the various options I chose "Parkour", which I guess a lot of students will do. Those Parkour-guys just do some very appealing and fascinating moves, running through cities and jumping around like crazy :)

This week I'll be blocking out the shot, here you can see my planning sketches.

Week 204 Planning

Stay tuned for more!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Thomas,

    hab eben deinen Blog entdeckt! Coole Sachen aus dem AM Programm hast du hier, und deine Skizzen zum Parcours versprechen noch mehr für die nächste Zeit. Vielleicht sieht man sich ja wieder auf der FMX :)

    Schöne Grüße aus Stuttgart
    Bin-Han To (der Typ mit den Maya Puppen letztes Jahr)
    binhanto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Animation Mentor Webring

Powered by WebRing.