Monday, January 12, 2009

Books about drawing and sketching

I thought I'd share some of the books about drawing that I use, or at least have on my shelf...

I just started reading Wayne Gilbert's Book called "Simplified Drawing for Planning Animation", which I have since last year. It's not very thick, but the content is great :) It shows how to construct the human figure from basic shapes, and how to create clear poses that can be used to plan animation. Exactly what the animation student needs! There is also some great information about forces and weight.
The book is out of stock at amazon.com, but you should be able to get it through the author's website. I hope it's ok to put the link here...

Apart from that I'm studying the "Walt Stanchfield Notes", that I got from Animation Meat before they took them off the site. They did that because the notes will finally be released as books! This is fantastic news, although the rumor has been around for a while. They will be named "Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes", Volume 1 and 2.
Here is a link to the Animation Meat News.
The books can also be pre-ordered at Amazon Germany, they even list a release date: April 23rd 2009. A must buy I guess.

By the way, Animation Meat offers many other cool notes about animation and drawing! Check out the Notes, Model Sheets and Template sections.

During my internship at Studio88 I bought a book by Kimon Nicolaides called "The Natural Way to Draw", but unfortunately I never found enough time to really work with it and do the exercises. You need lots of time for it and you're supposed to draw real people most of the time, so you need to have a model ;) or find other possibilities for sketching. However it's one of the best books about "learning to draw" that I came across, and if you have the time and motivation to pratice with it you should have a look! It's also ridiculously cheap (Amazon Germany).

I will share some of my favourite books about animation soon, if you have some good ones about sketching or gesture drawing, feel free to comment on this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Animation Mentor Webring

Powered by WebRing.